Mizoram News TodayAIZAWL, Feb 24: Opposition Mizo National Front on Thursday filed an FIR with Mizoram Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) demanding a fresh inquiry into the alleged irregularities in sending 32 Mizoram students to alleged fake Nalanda Institute of Advance Studies in Kolkata. The MNF demanded the inquiry to find out where the Rs 42 lakh is, which Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla claimed the institute had returned to the State Government. “Whereas the refunded money is supposed to be credited to the account of Mizoram Building & Other Construction Workers Welfare Board or the State Government account, neither of this has happened. It must be found out where is the money refunded by the institute,” the MNF demanded.

The MNF said that spending of MBOCWWB Fund itself was in violation of the MBOCWWB rules, and should be inquired and those responsible for illegal spending be punished. The MNF said the Mizoram Government paid the institute Rs 1,28,19,200 for the 32 Mizoram students to study a three-year hotel management course. “Whereas the amount can be cleared in installments within three years, the Mizoram Government paid it in three installments within 43 days,” the MNF said and asked why the government was in such a hurry to pay such a large sum of money. In September 2014, the students were admitted to a hotel management institute at Salt Lake in Kolkata. After a few semesters, the students, which included 20 girls and 12 boys, realised that the institute named Nalanda Institute of Advanced Studies ( NIAS) did not have requisite recognition. Following pressure by Mizo National Front, Mizoram Youth Commission chairman T Sangkunga and Labour, Employment & Industrial Training Minister Lalrinmawia Ralte had resigned last year. 

Additional secretary for Information and Communication Technology Rotluanga was also suspended. The officer in 2014, as then Director of Labour, Employment and Industrial Training, had signed a MoU with the Kolkata-based Nalanda Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS). The two-member inquiry commission in its report submitted to Mizoram Government on July 4 last year, found no direct involvement of LE&IT Minister Lalrinmawia Ralte and Mizoram Youth Commission (MYC) chairman T Sangkunga. 

MNF vice president and former Minister R Tlanghmingthanga said that while the inquiry commission was supposed to probe into why the MoU was signed with the fake institution; why the MoU was signed for only one year when it was a three-year course; on whose authority the welfare board fund amounting to over Rs 500 lakh was misused and as to why the course fee amounting to Rs128.20 lakh was given to NIAS in a single installment right after signing of MoU, it only found out that Lalrinmawia Ralte and T Sangkung were not involved in the selection for sponsorship of 32 students of NIAS. “The government was not intending on finding the irregularities behind sending 32 students to the fake institution,” Tlanghmingthanga alleged. -Correspondent, Assam Tribune

Post a comment

Powered by Blogger.